Up to 4 guests
Time of year
Late June to Mid October
For the ultimate Bella Coola hiking experience climb into a nimble A-Star helicopter and fly up to 4-Mile Ridge. Overlooking the fjords of the Bella Coola Valley and the glacier capped Coast Range Mountains, this hike offers epic panoramic views otherwise inaccessible without the assistance of a helicopter.
The mountains of the Bella Coola are steep, heavily forested, and boast truly jaw dropping elevation gains. To avoid a lengthy approach trail and in order to gain a headstart on a day of walking in the alpine, it is recommended to fly up to treeline and start the hike approximately 1 Mile above the valley floor!
4-Mile Ridge is located directly above the airport and is therefore a short 8 minute flight from the heliport. Enjoy spectacular views of the estuary, the fjord, the river winding a path through the Bella Coola Valley, and the townsite at its terminus. The hiking is straightforward with a long and relatively flat granite ridgewalk. The recommended direction is from West to East, and the nature of the ridge allows for multiple different pick up options. The group can hike the full distance or do a shorter version; regardless, the views and the photo opportunities are unparalleled.
*Important Note!* - This activity is subject to availability. This activity can be pre-purchased; however, it is not confirmed until we receive final confirmation from our partner company that the helicopter and pilot are available. Although helicopters can operate in less than perfect weather, flight dates may need to be amended
- Who Should Book?
- This aerial adventure is designed for active guests looking for moderate exercise and dramatic views in an alpine environment
- Heli-hiking offers guests a more immersive experience than heli-sightseeing with more time being spent connecting to the mountain environment
- Safety & Mobility Considerations
- This activity requires a moderate to high level of physical fitness
Note: Guests should be comfortable with light rock scrambling and climbing.
- Trails are rated as moderate; however, guests need to be fit enough to hike approximately 5 kms up and down moderate inclines and declines on uneven root and rock covered terrain
- Minimum Age
- 8+ as part of a Private Group or 12+ as part of a Small Group
What to Bring
- Comfortable closed-toe trail or hiking shoes with plenty of support
- Comfortable layered clothing that is appropriate for variable weather conditions, wind protection, and possible rain
- A small backpack for snacks, fluids, and other important personal items
- A hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and bug spray are highly recommended
- A camera to capture the experience
- Start - This activity begins at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
- Guests board one of our shuttles and drive approx. 45 minutes south along Highway 20 to the hanger for West Coast Helicopters located at the Bella Coola Airport
- Upon arrival at the hanger, guests are introduced to the pilot and participate in a helicopter safety orientation prior to boarding
- The helicopter begins its climb to elevation and embarks on a short 8 minute heli-sightseeing tour en route to 4-Mile Ridge where guests will exit the helicopter
- Guests enjoy approx. 2 to 3 hours of hiking with a break for lunch at the halfway point
- Along the way commentary and explanation is provided by the guide and there are opportunities to take photographs at various points of interest
Note: Guests should be encouraged to ask questions and to actively participate in discussions with the guide.
- The helicopter picks guests up and embarks on a 12 minute heli-sightseeing tour past Mt. Pootlass en route back to the heliport
- End - This activity ends back at the hanger for West Coast Helicopters
- Guests board one of our shuttles for an approx. 45 minute drive East back to Tweedsmuir Park Lodge
- Upon arrival back at the lodge, guests enjoy a delicious apres on the deck if they have purchased one of our all-inclusive packages
Note: Capacity is limited in each of our activities and we prioritize space for guests staying at the lodge. That being said, we occasionally have space for guests not staying at the lodge. If you will not be staying with us and would like to book this activity, please contact us by phone at 604-905-4994 or by email at [email protected]